10/22/21

Inwood Hill Park 1.10.2021

woke up with a slight headache and fell back asleep until 840. Around 900 I walked into Kuro and asked for a cold brew. Me and the two baristas were confused after that. It was pretty cold again but less windy than Saturday. I counted birds in the clearing on Dyckman west of the Payson Building. A few ring-bills, mallards, a herring gull or two. I walked up Dyckman fields and counted a few sparrows in the far north fields - white-throated/song. A dense little collection of ring-bills were feeding just south of the Amtrak bridge. I took a piss near the west side of the footbridge and walked the east side of the fields back down to Dyckman where I bumped into Danny. We passed the woman with the three-legged dog and Danny said jokingly he wanted to ride in the dog's pushcart, to the woman. Danny and I checked the marina dock again. We looked closely at a cedar and some grasses (sedges) along Dyckman Street for potential Finch food (seeds). He said also that Nathan had the GHO this morning in the Clove. We got a brown creeper near where the red trail connected to the main road. We checked the screech owl cavity near the fire hydrant. Dan lit a cigarette as we walked up to the overlook. Dan split off to head into the Clove. I circled around the north ridge and hung out at the parapet. I circled down in the clove and got a few pictures of male and female hairy woodpeckers. When I was near the "structure' I could hear House Finches singing loudly above. I recorded some audio but they didn't come out great. At the marsh restoration enclosure while I was photographing a Swamp Sparrow I saw Danny again. He told me a GHO had taken up a perch in the white pines where the barred owl had been. Then he directed me to a peregrine perched up on the stadium lights. It was 1:30pm. I headed home to watch football. After working out a bit and drinking two beers I went back to the park to look for the GHO. There were a lot of people at the Pines so I didn't get close enough to find an owl and walked to the north ridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment