3/25/21

Palisades Park 3/25 (GWB north to Alpine Section)

 Warm with sun fighting through dispersing fog. Bike north on 9 from CNBC. Spotted sticks or nest in top of cell antenna. No visible nest occupants. Locked bike at park headquarters and hiked north on cliff side trail. Saw a few black vultures perching. Scared a raven off of Bombay Hook perch. South of the Bombay Hook a bald eagle was perched in the canopy below the cliffs. Up near the big cliffs I found a Peregrine perching. It flew off towards The New York side of the river, the town north of Yonkers. Turkey vultures, ravens, crows. Not many passerines. Saw an blue, iridescent beetle on the trail. On the road down to the Alpine Marina I spotted a nest box up on the cliffs side, about twenty feet below the cliff edge. The box was three sided. Made of wood or composite material and had whitewash descending onto the rock face below. Some lady with a big lens chatted me up about the Eagle nest by Greenbrook Falls. I saw the female eagle in her nest. I saw another Peregrine and two more eagles in the southern section of the park. Also got my first Northern Flicker of the season. One of the eagles perched on the west tower of the GWB, only momentarily. Also a Canada Goose was sitting at the edge of a cliff over the road down to Ross Dock. It was funny to see the goose surveying the river from a cliff perch like a raptor. It honked a few times as well. I left the park around 7pm, making my visit there last over four hours. The only Red-Tail I saw was perched in the woods of Fort Lee park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment