12/17/12

Peekamoose and Table Mountain, Catskills, NY

December, 17th, 2012

At 4:47am I saw the wait for the next Manhattan bound L train to be 16 minutes. After that I decided to get a taxi just to be safe. It was a black car. $22.

9:23am start at Peekamoose parking lot, only car in lot

turn around time should be 12:25pm

10:20am am I on Peekamoose? there is ice up here on this rock. I climb it, think I might fall. Eat some nuts / granola, drink some water. [Reconnoiter Rock]

10:55am am I at the first lookout or is this really Peekamoose summit? (I totally underestimated the ice). There's no view. The trees disappear into the fog twenty feet away.

11:(something) Peekamoose or Table. I climb on a rock. I'm digital messaging Mike to see if he can confirm where I'm at.

Big ice chunks fall out of the trees. The forest is loud because of all the ice, making constant noise.

11:50am I'm definitely on Table. A grouse scared me. Sounded like a helicopter. The pines are growing out of a bed of their own dead needles. There's a dusting of snow. Turning around soon.

12:05pm At the Table Mountain Shelter. 4.6 miles from the car. I eat a sandwich.

12:22pm I'm back at Table Mountain's summit on my return.

12:43pm I'm back on Peekamoose on the return.

Gloves are on, bad ice right after Peekamoose. I have to use roots to pull myself up the trail.

1:26pm Early mistaken summit on my return. Start listening to Iphone music library. A lot of Jelly Roll Morton. My hat bill pointed down, I just can see a lot of orange / brown leaves on the ground.

2:20pm Return to car. Found a striped shirt piled in the leaves, frozen.

elevation gained: from parking lot to Peeka 2,800', lose and gain 100' between Peeka and Table, plus 400' getting to the Shelter (total 3,400')


No comments:

Post a Comment